How To Plan an Epic Christmas Night Out in Kings Heath, Birmingham
The festive season only feels complete with enjoying a fun-filled Christmas night out with your best mates. As the owner of Kolkata Lounge in Stirchley, nearby Moseley, I’ve helped organise many festive celebrations over the years. There’s nothing better than reconnecting with friends, tucking into delicious food and drink, and making new memories to last until next Christmas.
Kings Heath has a fantastic selection of bars, pubs and restaurants that get beautifully decorated each year, making it the ideal area for Yuletide nights out. Read on for my tips on planning the ultimate Christmas evening with friends in Kings Heath, Birmingham.
Benefits of a Christmas Night Out
Let’s first talk about why you should try to organise a festive reunion. I know everyone is pressed for time around the holidays, but a night out provides some fantastic benefits:
- It’s a chance to catch up with old friends you haven’t seen in ages. Everyone is in a nostalgic mood this time of year.
- What better way to celebrate the season than enjoying tasty Christmas cocktails and meals?
- Soaking up the twinkling lights and festive decor gets you into the holiday spirit.
- It’s a welcome break from all the Christmas prep and shopping stress. It’s time to relax and enjoy yourself.
- Making new traditions and memories with your mates – what could be better?
- You can laugh together about embarrassing stories from past Christmas parties!
At Kolkata Lounge, our annual staff Christmas night out is the year’s highlight. Seeing everyone laughing together and sharing stories embodies the season’s spirit for me.
Venues for Christmas Nights Out in Kings Heath
Luckily, Kings Heath has no shortage of atmospheric, festive places to choose from for your Christmas reunion, whether you want a casual drink or more of an event. Here are some of my top recommendations:
The Hare and Hounds
This neighbourhood pub oozes traditional charm, with roaring fires, dark wood interiors and great beer. During the festive season, they decorate beautifully with twinkling lights, wreaths, trees and an authentic red postbox for sending Christmas cards.
Make a night of it with their Christmas cocktail menu (try the Naughty Elf!) and festive tapas like venison sausage rolls and mulled pear tarts. On weekends, live music and carol singers add to the merry atmosphere.
The Churchill Arms
For a more upscale gastro-pub option, check out the Churchill Arms. Their private dining room is perfect for group dinners, beautifully decorated with candles and evergreen foliage.
Indulge in classic British fare like roast turkey, beef wellington or nut roasts alongside festive tipples like spiced cider and mulled wine. Make sure to book well in advance!
Bodega Bar and Cantina
If you fancy Mexican street food vibes, Bodega serves festive twists on tacos, nachos and quesadillas alongside fun-themed cocktails like ‘Santa’s Little Helper’ and ‘Jingle Juice’. Their bottomless Christmas brunches are ideal for daytime reunion sessions, too.
Organising Fun Group Activities
Aside from chatting, eating and drinking, organising some special group activities during your Christmas night out is fun. Here are some ideas:
- Get competitive with a festive pub quiz or bingo session
- Do a Secret Santa gift exchange – add a charity donation twist
- Book live music, drag acts or comedy shows at venues
- Screen a classic Christmas flick like Love Actually or Home Alone
- Arrange Christmas wreath-making workshops beforehand
- Have DIY crafts on hand, like pop-up card making
- Play silly Christmas games like wrapping each other up or a snowball fight!
Adding creative activities will make your reunion feel even more special and unique. My mates and I still laugh about our drunken Christmas karaoke attempts to this day!
Managing Logistics and Budget
To ensure your Christmas night out goes smoothly, you need to get the logistics and budget locked down:
- Set a date at least one month in advance – it gives everyone time to save it.
- Make bookings for venues, restaurants and activities as early as you can.
- Set up a WhatsApp group to discuss plans and keep everyone easily updated.
- Share transport options like pre-booking minibuses, taxi shares or designated drivers.
- Give clear guidance on the budget per person expected for food, drinks, etc.
- Arrange any dietary requirements with the venues upfront.
- Take payment from everyone in advance to cover bookings – avoid issues later!
- Assign someone as the point person to handle any questions, late arrivals, etc, on the night.
Sorting the boring stuff ahead of time means you all get to enjoy yourselves on the night worry-free fully. Christmas is all about creating joyful new memories with your nearest and dearest!
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some common questions I get asked about organising festive nights out:
Where are the best Christmas night-out spots in Kings Heath?
My top picks are The Hare and Hounds, Churchill Arms or Bodega Bar for drinks, food and entertainment.
What food and drinks should we try on a Christmas night out?
Go for festive treats like mulled wine, roast dinners, Christmas cocktails, mince pies – anything that screams Christmas!
How early should we book venues or restaurants?
Aim for at least one month in advance or 2-3 months for popular locations. Christmas bookings go quickly!
What types of activities are fun on Christmas nights?
Interactive games, quizzes, live entertainment, crafting and gift exchanges are great to bring friends together.
How can we plan a Christmas night out on a budget?
Fixed-price food/drink packages, predrinks at someone’s house, public transport and avoiding club entry fees all help reduce costs.
I’ve inspired you to plan an unforgettable festive reunion in Kings Heath for you and your mates this Christmas. Bringing people together to celebrate the season is what it’s all about! Wishing you a night full of laughter, nostalgia and Christmas cheer.